So without further adieu, here is my ingredient list and process!
- 2 cans of chick peas, drained and juice on reserve (3 Tbsp.) (or "baby butts" as I grew up calling them)
- 2/3 cup of tahini (sesame paste: which looks and has similar texture as natural peanut butter)
- 1 baby can of chopped spinach (7.75 oz)
- 1 can of marinated artichoke hearts (6.5 oz) ( I added approx. 1 Tbsp. of the marinated juices for fun)
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
(as you can see, my recipe is different than both recipes)
Put all the above in a food processor and prepare to make magic. :-) Blend together until smooth. If consistency is too thick for your liking, add more reserve liquid.
Now, to break down how much this hummus really cost to make!
Chickpeas: 2 x $1.09 = $2.18
Tahini: $6.59 bottle (I used approx 1/2, so my price for this batch = $3.29)
Total cost = $8.35
Now, while this sounds more expensive than what you may buy in the store, remember how much this recipe yielded;
- two containers storing 17 oz
- one container storing 8 oz
So the recipe yeilded approx 42 oz. (about $0.19/oz)
Lets look at a grocery store's item
ValuMarket - Hummus of Sabra Classic Hummus, 10oz for $4.99 or $0.50/oz
LOOK WHO IS SAVING MONEY!! (as you read this, use both hands with thumbs up, and point to yourself!)
Now, Im going to enjoy me some Humble Hummus!
Hope this inspires you and you create your own version and flavors!! Let me know if you try something that is DELICIOUS!
Thanks for traveling along!